Today I was deeply shocked by what happened on the Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam.
I wondered whether I should write anything about this tragedy. I have a connection to Rotterdam and its community, and I simply can’t remain silent. I have also travelled by tram across the Erasmus Bridge many times.
This morning, a moving tram collided with a stationary tram on the Erasmus Bridge. The accident occurred while the bridge was open to allow a ship to pass.
Bridge openings like this are an everyday occurrence. During my visits to Rotterdam, I have often waited on a tram at the Erasmus Bridge while a ship passed underneath before continuing towards Wilhelminaplein. I wouldn’t want to experience something like this myself.
I was “surprised” that the approaching tram did not appear to slow down. The exact cause of the accident has not yet been made public. According to the available information, even witnesses did not immediately understand what had happened.
I have examined the situation using numerous available videos. One of my hypotheses is that a contributing factor may have been that the stationary tram was positioned just beyond the crest of the bridge in the direction of Wilhelminaplein. When approaching from the opposite side, the view over the bridge’s crest is limited. Based on my understanding of the bridge’s elevation, one possible contributing factor could be that the driver of the approaching tram was unable to see the stationary tram for much of the bridge, or perhaps not at all until the last moment.
This does not explain the accident itself. The actual cause may turn out to be something entirely different from my hypothesis. There are also safety systems in place, including signals and authorisation to enter the bridge. The accident could have resulted from a technical failure or another unforeseen circumstance. Hopefully, there was no failure to observe the signaling system or the bridge-opening procedures.
If the investigation were to show that the second tram had been authorized to enter the bridge while the first tram had stopped beyond the bridge’s crest, then the restricted visibility might prove to have been one of the contributing factors.
According to the available information, 15 people were injured in the accident. Seven were taken to hospital, and one person sustained serious injuries. The remaining injured passengers were treated at the scene and were able to return home.
Screenshots;
Twee trams botsen op elkaar op de Erasmusbrug

